This Church is located in the Old Bazaar. It was built in 1784 and its architecture is of the orthodox type with a rectangular shape and the constructions of the east-west axes. The church is divided into 3 parts. The church was also called the Old Metropolitan, which was once the seat of the local Orthodox bishop. Typical Orthodox churches are built representing the universe. The ceiling represents paradise and is decorated with large paintings of Christ looking down on the hall where believers gather. The floor represents the world in which we live. The main altar rises from the floor to the top of several steps as a partition between heaven and earth. Near the entrance is an icon of Jesus on the cross symbolizing the divine transformation of Christ. The interior of the Church was badly damaged during the communist era. Few are left of the original murals. Icons in frames on both sides of the actor are recently painted by an artist who specializes in such restorations. The handmade pulpit is the part where the orthodox bishop sits. The main part of the icons in this church are reproductions from the original, as at that time they were stolen and never found.
34GV+88F Gjirokaster, Albania